Sunday, November 27, 2011

Breakfast Casserole with Bacon

This is my absolute favorite breakfast casserole.  I am not an egg fan and most casseroles are dressed up baked eggs over toast.  Not this one.  Not even close.  There are eggs in here but the taste is not predominant.

It's bacon (Yum!), and potatoes loaded with three kinds of cheese.  You might think cottage cheese in a casserole is odd but don't knock it until you try it.   The cottage cheese melts like any other cheese.  If you are lucky you get an edge piece where the cheese has gotten crispy.  You can sub the bacon with breakfast sausage if you would like but be sure to try it with the bacon because the bacon really makes it fabulous.

I have make the dish the night before and refrigerated it uncooked overnight and it has turned out really well.      Just add a few minutes to the cooking time.  Also when I have leftovers I freeze individual portions wrapped in plastic wrap and in a freezer bag.  I can microwave them later for an individual breakfast.

Recipe adapted from allrecipes
Serves 12

1 pound sliced bacon,
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
7 eggs, lightly beaten
6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (1 package)
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese

Start by cooking your bacon.  I prefer to do it in the oven because I can cook the whole pan all at once.  When it is cool crumble bacon and set aside.  Pour about a table spoon of bacon grease into a fry pan and cook your chopped onion in it until translucent.   

When onion is done cooking combine all ingredients including bacon into a large bowl.  Mix well and pour into a 9X13 pan  pressing down with the back of a spoon to fit.  Bake in 350 oven for 30-40  minutes.  Let stand a few minutes before serving.  

15 comments:

  1. I pinned this recipe to my 'Main Dish' board this morning. It has been repinned 38 times! I make a recipe similar to this called 'Sunshine Casserole', it's delicious. Seeing your recipe made me hungry for it, I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to try it! It's a favorite of mine. Thanks for the pin!

      Delete
  2. Can this be made in advance and then baked in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just add a few minutes to the baking time. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  3. Just made this but i used real potatoes and only cheddar and cottage cause i had no swiss cant wait for it to be done so i can try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got to try it. I hope you like it. Let me know how the real potatoes work.

      Delete
  4. can i make it ahead of time, freeze it and thaw and reheat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed response. When I have frozen it I put it directly in the microwave frozen. I freeze it in individual portions.

      Delete
  5. I have made this for the last three Christmas mornings, each morning has three varieties - no mean, just bacon and sausage and bacon. Every one of my picky eaters is thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this when company was in town. Perfectly delicious! All tummies were full and happy. The best part was how easy it was to prepare, pop in the oven, and serve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this last weekend. Family loved it! So full of flavour and super cheesy. We had leftovers, my husband rarely eats leftovers. He devoured thsee ones! This is my new go-to Christmas breakfast casserole. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the oven right now! My family and I are vegetarians so I substituted the bacon with veggie sausage and pepper jack in lieu of swiss cheese. It's a hit! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...