Friday, February 17, 2012

Breakfast Sausage

I make a lot of food for this blog but a lot of times I don't post it because my photography is terrible.  My artistic skills come in the way of tasty food not in the way of making things look good.  Case in point, the plate of breakfast sausage.


I have no idea how to make breakfast sausage look even half as good as it tastes.  This is the breakfast sausage that you think about all day.  It's the sausage that makes you hurry home so you can heat up some leftovers for a snack.  I think of it often and it makes my stomach growl even after a meal.  How can a food so incredible look so unappetizing?

Well, the picture is here to prove that I made it not necessarily to entice you to eat it.  But make and eat it you should.  This sausage is 100 times better than what you can get at the grocery store.  The recipe does have some spice that gives it a great kick.  I think that is what I love most about it.  But if you can not handle even the tiniest bit of spice, this is your warning.  Now what are you waiting for, go make some sausage!

Breakfast Sausage
recipe adapted from Alton Brown

2 pounds ground pork 
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried, ground)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves (I've never used the dried but you can try it)
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl use your (clean!) hands to make sure they are thoroughly mixed.  Chill the mixture for at least one hour (I like to make mine the night before so I just have to cook it in the morning).  Shape mixture into 2 inch patties and cook in a large skillet over medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...