Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pasta with Bacon and Perpperoncini


We just got back from a nine day trip to the Sierra Nevadas visiting Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite National Parks.  It was a great trip but I am now in the "I need a vacation after the vacation" mode.  I washed six loads of laundry (and I even folded three of them already!), cleaned out the car, aired out our stinky camping gear, and took care of a sick child all day.  Unfortunately as hard as I have been trying  the house is still a mess and I haven't made it to the grocery store.  That can be a bit of a problem when it comes to dinner time.

Luckily I had all the ingredients for an old favorite.  When the fridge was nearly empty I did have bacon (yea for a long shelf life!), onions (they last a long time) and Parmesan cheese (long shelf life too).  I was glad to have the chance to make this too.  I have been wanting to post this recipe since I started this blog.  The problem being that every time I make this I want to eat it when I am done not take a picture of it.  So I have made this dish multiple times but only this time did I manage to take a picture.  Do any of you other food bloggers have this problem?  I mean I am a food blogger not a photography blogger.  I make the food because I want to eat it not take a picture.  But I try not to post without taking a picture because I normally don't want to make recipes that I haven't seen a picture of.

This is truly an under 30 minute meal.  Actually make that 20 minutes.  Cooking the bacon is the most time consuming part.  Do try this pasta.   You will love it and decide to always have bacon, onion, and peperoncini around so you can make this for a last minute dinner.  Since my kids don't like spice but my husband and I do I add about half the peperoncini, serve the kids, and then add the rest.


Pasta with Bacon and Peperoncini

1 pound capellini or angel hair pasta
12 oz bacon
1/3 cup olive oil
2 thinly sliced yellow onions
1/4 cup sliced peperoncini (about 8)
28 oz crushed tomatoes
3/4 Parmesan cheese

Cook 1 lb capellini to al dente
While pasta is cooking cook bacon. Drain and crumble.
Add olive oil, sliced onions, and  peperoncini peppers seeded and diced.
Saute and then add crushed tomatoes. Add salt and cracked pepper to taste.
Mix in noodles and serve with parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this looks tasty! And I love dishes that can be made with staples...cooking after returning from a vacation is always a challenge...and I never want to dine out after finally getting home. Yeah, if I'm taking photos of dinner it's always a huge rush as the family wants to eat then and there! I have plenty of potential entree posts that have one quickly taken, lousy photo :/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...